Sunday, August 21, 2011

Just a perfect reflection



Guster, Fa Fa


As economic fortunes fall anew and fear runs rampant, legal education is experiencing another season of regret. Recent graduates and even some students have come to regret their decision to attend law school. They're hardly alone.

Regret is nothing more than fermented wisdom, and I am a very wise man. There are moments when I fervently wish I could take my own academic advice, dispensed at greatest length in The Death of the Regulatory Compact: Sunk costs are just that, sunk. Time moves in one direction. So should we.

In this spirit I offer my readership this musical interlude. Its essential message is a familiar one. For those who might prefer T.S. Eliot's formulation over Guster's, I'll happily oblige:
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.
Remember always that the detail of the pattern is movement.

Spiral staircase

1 Comments:

Anonymous Vladimir said...

A beautiful (and wise) post, Jim.

8/22/2011 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home